Friday, February 3, 2012

This Month's Focus...

This month I am going to focus on Gardening.  How can you have a garden in an apartment you ask?  With lots of planning and lots of reading.  When I was a kid my family had a vegetable garden and we ate more veggies that summer then I remember ever eating. When you take all that time and effort to grow them, you are more likely to eat them.  It is also locally grown, and you cannot get any more local than that!

My plan is to build a planter box to go on my balcony.  I am planning to grow lettuce, tomatoes, and green beans. Maybe summer squash too.  I already have started growing herbs (rosemary, basil, sage, lavender, parsley, and more). Call me crazy, I have also started a pot of dandelions.  They are good for salads and can even work as medicine.  To read more about dandelions here are some great websites: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/dandelion-000236.htm
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2008-04-01/Dandelion-Recipes.aspx

I will add updates in a few weeks =)

 Beautiful misunderstood flower!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Our garden on campus is doing well so far! Can't wait til we can eat some of our veggies! We also convinced my parents to start a garden and helped them build one over Spring Break! =)

    ReplyDelete