Saturday, January 28, 2012

Plastic...

Before reaserching what plastic really is, I had no idea what the problem really was with using plastic.  I have learned a lot the past few weeks and the more I learn the less plastic I buy. 

The first and most obvious problem with plastic is that it does not break down.  I have heard that it takes plastic a long time to break down but plastic has only been around for a very short time so no one know first hand how long it takes to break down.  I found many interesting articles, but this was my favorite: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2007/06/will_my_plastic_bag_still_be_here_in_2507.html

When plastics do break down they have negative affects on the environment.  I read what National Geographic had to say and it worried me. Please read:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/08/090820-plastic-decomposes-oceans-seas.html

Burning plastics is also dangerous and illegal (didn't know about the law until I started doing research).  It can realease harmful fumes. Please read: http://www.gov.pe.ca/environment/burning-plastic

It is believed that plastic can cause breast cancer from leaching.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=plastic-not-fantastic-with-bisphenol-a

I have read and read, and there are more reasons...none of which are good.  I know it is hard to imagne life without plastic because it is everywhere (including the keyboard that I am typing on right now), but it is possible to be smart about the plastic we use and to use much less of it.  I am obviously not going to get rid of all plastic I own or I would not be able to use a computer or talk on the phone, but I do plan to choose an alternative to "disposable" plastic. I do not buy or use bottled water, T.V. dinners, "disposable" grocery bags, etc.

I also stopped using plastic for my food.  I now use stainless steel, cast iron, glass, bamboo, etc.  I no longer have plastic cups, bowls, storage containers, measuring cups...I could go on for days on how plastic has taken over the modern kitchen.  Not mine anymore.

Other rooms are affected by it too.  I am not going to throw every plastic item away, but when I need new items, I plan to buy something other then plastic when possible.

Thanks Kalie, for the idea to stop using plastic.  It is easier then I thought it would be!

2 comments:

  1. very very true. sad how many things that are so common these days are also harmful. Better look into the making of bamboo products before you get too excited about those...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! Glad you made the switch. The good thing is that we are making these changes while we are young, so they will only get easier and feel more natural with time! =)

    ReplyDelete