Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Green Thing #9 Making things! (Part 2)

If you buy the Swiffer Sweeper Wet Refills you will spend about 50 cents each (if you shop at Sam's Club).  If you only use one a week, you will spend about $25 in a year.  The bigger your house, the more often you use it, the more you spend. It can add up fast!  Also you have to consider the implications it has on the environment.  I am not sure what cleansers they use or the amount that goes in the landfills, but I don't want to add to the problem.

To be a part of the solution and to save some green, I have started making swiffer sweeper cloths.  My mom, who is not green at all, even loves them.

I crochet my swiffer cloths without a pattern but here is a website that has patterns for knitting, sewing or crochet if you need one. 
http://tipnut.com/make-your-own-swiffer-cloths/

All I did for my mom's and mine was...
1.  Measure the swiffer. Plan for an extra inch because cotton shrinks.
2.  F hook and Cotton yarn (Number 4) found at Wal-Mart.
3. 54 ch. to equal 13 inches.
4. I use half double Crochet stitch (or hdc) through both loops
5. Continue until it is about 6 inches wide.
6. I put velcro on mine to keep it secure.

If you do not crochet, knit, or sew you can buy them online.  If you Google "swiffer sweeper reusable" you will see a ton of options.  Or you can talk to me ;)

The only downside to using reusable swiffers is you have to take some time to make them or plan ahead because they are not sold in stores.

My next post will be on floor cleansers since I did not cover that here:)
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment